Where do I go to file a complaint against my utility company?

Most utility services and similar companies want to resolve your consumer issues. So, before filing a complaint against your utility company, try and work with their customer service staff and similar resources to resolve the issues. If all else fails, there are some options to take you complaints to the next level of oversight. In Pennsylvania, the PA Public Utility Commission (PUC) oversees all public utilities in the Commonwealth. The Township is not the appropriate entity to contact when you have a service issue related to public utilities monitored by the PUC. Again, all consumers must first attempt to resolve service issues with the respective utility company. If the utility company is non-responsive to your request for improvements to service, you need to contact the PA Public Utility Commission, Bureau of Consumer Services (BCS). The Bureau of Consumer Services (BCS) assists consumers in resolving complaints with utility companies under the PUCs authority. Again, before you file an informal complaint, you must first deal directly with your utility company. If the company is unable to resolve your problem, you may contact us to file an informal complaint. BCS investigates and responds to informal complaints as soon as possible. The telephone number for the BCS is below. 1-800-692-7380 Please do not file an Informal or Formal Complaint or provide BCS comments regarding the following utilities, since the PUC does not regulate these services: For Rural Electric Cooperatives, please contact the PA Rural Electric Association. For utilities owned and operated by municipalities that operate wholly within their limits (none in Manheim Township), contact the service provider. For Cable TV companies (Comcast in Manheim Township), contact the municipal office. For cellular or wireless phone companies, contact the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). For bottled propane gas companies, contact the PA Office of Attorney General Bureau of Consumer Protection. For oil companies, contact the PA Office of Attorney General Bureau of Consumer Protection.

PUC Bureau of Consumer Services

Show All Answers

1. Who do I call if a street light is out on our street?
2. How can I obtain a recycling bin for our home?
3. What are the rules for putting my garbage cans out?
4. How do I sign up for news and alert notifications?
5. When will my street be cleaned?
6. What do I do if I have brown water?
7. Do I need a permit to re-pave my driveway?
8. Where do I go to file a complaint against my utility company?
9. What is the Township doing to help residents with downed tree branches after storms?
10. Can a property owner discharge a foundation drain/sump pump onto a public street?
11. What are some techniques to use in discouraging skunks in my yard or neighborhood?
12. How do I protect my pet from skunks in our yard and neighborhood?
13. Do you have any information on the PPL's Transmission Line Vegetation Management program?
14. Why is PPL Inc. cutting trees and vegetation in its easements and rights-of-way?
15. How will I know when PPL Inc. is coming to do work on trees and vegetation in our area?
16. Is PPL Inc. using herbicides when it is maintaining vegetation near its lines and rights-of way?
17. Is PPL Inc. using the same herbicides on land as it does in water?
18. Why does PPL Inc. sometimes leave cut trees in the right of way?
19. Are farmers permitted to grow crops under a PPL Inc. transmission line?
20. What do I need to do to reduce mosquitoes, bites and the threat of West Nile Virus on our property?
21. Does PPL inc. compensate people for trees they cut down?
22. Do I get free bags for leaves if I live on a State Road?
23. Where can I pick up free leaf bags for my home since I live on a state road?
24. Can I put paper yard bags with whole leaves out and along my street for the Township to pickup?
25. Does the Township have a "call in" yard waste bag pickup service for leaves?
26. Where do I call if I have a flickering lights or a power outage?
27. What can we do about hundreds or thousands of crows roosting on our property?
28. How do my neighbors and I close our street for a block party?
29. What should I do during a drinking water advisory?
30. Do I need approval or a permit to cut down a tree in the public right-of-way?
31. How long do I have to remove snow?
32. When will my street be cleaned?