On Monday, July 8, 2019, the Manheim Township Board of Commissioners passed Ordinance 2019-07 (Placement of Dumpsters and Portable Storage Devices on Township Streets). This ordinance now requires that dumpsters and storage devices, such as Pods®, are only to be stored on driveways. They will only be temporarily permitted on a public street when no reasonable alternative location exists, such as in a row home situation. The temporary storage will be allowed as long as the following conditions are met:
- A permit must be obtained from the police department. Permit applications are available at the police station and on the website.
- Persons seeking a permit must provide the department no less than five business (5) days to render a decision. If denied, the dumpster/unit will not be allowed to be placed on the street.
- If permitted, the permit holder must pay a permit fee of $50.00 when they pick up their permit in person from the police station. They then shall ensure the following:
- Reflective tape or illuminated markings are placed upon the dumpster/unit in order to provide adequate warning of its placement to pedestrians and motorists.
- The approved permit shall be conspicuously placed in a location that allows it to be identified from the street.
- No dumpster/unit is placed nearer than 15 feet to any fire hydrant or other intended fire-fighting equipment.
- The location of any dumpster/unit on any street shall not obstruct any pedestrian way or the lane of travel of any street.
- The location of any dumpster/unit upon any street shall not interfere with any required clear sight distance across any intersection or driveway.
- No materials contained in a dumpster/unit shall emit any noxious or offensive odor or otherwise create any hazard or risk to public health.
- If any damage or injury to the street shall be caused or done by the use or occupancy of any street hereunder, the party to whom the permit is issued shall be responsible and liable for the same and shall restore the street to its original condition.
- If the permit holder refuses to properly restore the Street to its original condition, the Township may do so and collect the cost of the same from the permit holder.
- Remove the dumpster/unit within thirty (30) days of the issuance of the permit.
Issued permits may be revoked if the conditions of this ordinance are not maintained throughout the use of the approved dumpster/unit. Failure to comply with any provision may result in a fine of not less than $25.00 nor more than $1,000.00. Any persons who have questions about the use of dumpsters or storage units upon the public street should call the Manheim Township Police Department at 717-569-6401.
MEDIA CONTACT: Sergeant Michael T. Piacentino, W: 717-569-6401 Ext: 1583, C: 717-340-2130, firstname.lastname@example.org
Attachments: Dumpster Ordinance 2019-07 Dumpster Permit Application
Source: Manheim Township Police Department
Sourced via CRIMEWATCH®: https://lancaster.crimewatchpa.com/manheimtwppd/53783/post/manheim-township-passes-new-ordinance-governing-dumpsters-and-storage-units-public