Zoning Hearing Board
- 6:30 p.m.
- First Monday of each month (Please check the Calendar for exceptions)
- Municipal Building
1840 Municipal Drive
Lancaster, PA 17601
The July 6, 2020 Zoning Hearing Board applications and applicable information have been uploaded for public view. If you choose to participate in the July 6, 2020 Zoning Hearing Board meeting, you can do so remotely. Specific information on how to connect remotely will be provided here prior to the hearings.
Party Status - If you enter your appearance and become a party to the case, you would be able to appeal the decision to the Court of Common Pleas and you would receive a copy of the Board’s decision. It is not necessary to be a party to a case to ask questions or give testimony. Having Party Status affects your rights to appeal, not your right to be part of the hearing. You are entitled to Party Status if you live or own property so near the subject property that you would be impacted by the use. If you wish to apply for Party Status, complete the Appearance Form and email the form to email@example.com or mail the form to the attention of Lisa Douglas at the above address. Forms will be accepted until 5:00 p.m. on the date the case will be heard.
- David Wood, Chairperson
Term Expires: January 2025
- Greg Strausser
Term Expires: January 2022
- James M. Stephens
Term Expires: January 2021
- Jane G. Macedonia
Term Expires: January 2023
- David Beyer
Term Expires: January 2024
The Manheim Township Zoning Hearing Board (ZHB) is an independent quasi-judicial body established Board of Commissioners following the adoption of the Township's zoning ordinance. When zoning is adopted in a municipality in Pennsylvania, the appointment of a Zoning Officer and the creation of a Zoning Hearing Board is required by the Pennsylvania Municipalities Planning Code (MPC), Act 247.
The Zoning Hearing Board serves the community as an independent appeals "court" to hear various cases pertaining to the determinations and interpretations of the Township's zoning ordinance by the Zoning Officer. The ZHB helps to assure fair and equitable application and administration of the Township's zoning ordinance. The ZHB may hear various appeals matters and has the authority under Pennsylvania law to grant relief to an applicant from the literal enforcement of the zoning ordinance in accordance with procedures prescribed by the Township's zoning ordinance and PA Act 247. The ZHB may also uphold the uses, interpretations and determinations by the Township Zoning Officer or other officials regarding land use related matters.
The Zoning Hearing Board has jurisdiction in nine areas as prescribed by the PA Municipalities Planning Code (Act 247). These areas are:
- Substantive challenges to the validity of any land use ordinance,
- Challenges raising procedural questions or alleged defects in the enactment or adoption process of a land use ordinance,
- Appeals from the determination of the Zoning Officer,
- Appeals from a determination by the municipal engineer or zoning officer with regard to administration of any flood plain or flood hazard regulations,
- Applications for variances,
- Applications for Special Exceptions,
- Appeals from determinations regarding the administration of transfers of development rights or performance density provisions,
- Appeals from the zoning officer's determination regarding preliminary opinions, and
- Appeals from the municipal engineer's or zoning officer's determination in the administration of any land use ordinance with regard to storm water management and erosion and sedimentation control not involving subdivision, land development or Planned Residential Development (PRD).
The Zoning Hearing Board members are appointed by the Board of Commissioners for terms of five (5) years. All ZHB members are residents of Manheim Township. During their tenure, members of the Zoning Hearing Board are not permitted to hold any other office in the municipality.